“All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was. If you can get so that you can give that to people, then you are a writer.”

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Au Revoir


Now that I have walked down the aisle, it's time to walk down the old, familiar road, and make a new turn. That too just when Singapore had finally managed to woo me despite its rules and crazy dialect. 

I came more than 3 years ago, from India, alone and friendless to this strange land. I remember my first day here, struggling to find my way from the flat to the MRT. Every street corner in Singapore looked the same. Identifications were few. I remember my early university days, caught up between people speaking either Chinese or Tamil. The few people who spoke Hindi, I guarded like treasure. (For reading up on my early experiences in Singapore go here!)

However as time passed, I went on to live in various parts of Singapore, made many friends, tried several cuisines. Singapore does crazy things to you. For starters, my skirts went shorter, my hair went straighter and I started wearing makeup! My english became lopsided with many lahs and aahs appended to each sentence. I began fitting in. I visited its museums and parks to learn its culture. I went in search of the old Singaporean houses with the bomb shelters still in them. I went to the lesser visited parts of China town. I scoured Singapore on foot, cycle, car and train. I visited its temples. I went snorkeling, dragon boating and prawning in search of excitement. I went to its night spots and coffee shops. I visited it's tourist attractions and I reveled in its local delights. I visited it's neighbours and I actively engaged myself in its national pastime - shopping!

Now that my days in Singapore are coming to an end, I find it difficult to bid goodbye. How do you say goodbye to a country after 3 years. How do you say goodbye to those crazy parties with even crazier friends. There are places I still haven't visited, adventures I haven't tried. In these last few days maybe I would want to relive my best experiences in Singapore once again. Maybe tonight I will go down to the old west coast park, late night near the sea, lie down on the rocks and look at the sky. Its the most perfect place in the world. Its an amazing place to go to if you are happy and want to celebrate or if you are sad and want solitude. Whether you are with friends or whether you are alone. If you want to sing or you just want to listen to the sea telling grand tales from its past. The park holds many memories for me. Maybe that is where I should begin my goodbyes from.