“All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was. If you can get so that you can give that to people, then you are a writer.”

Friday, May 16, 2014

The warmth of the little sitting space outside my room is inviting enough for a dreamer like me to desert the open air and sit in the confines of this artificially decorated space. Warmth is a very comforting element, especially when you are surrounded by the cold. If inhaled sharply enough, the cold goes right in through the nostrils, deep down into the body like a sharp sword, piercing the insides. So I cover myself any way I can, with jackets and scarves and shoes when I venture outside my warm sanctuary. Had it been anywhere else, I would have been content being in my room. But this place is so beautiful, that I cannot do the injustice of not seeing it, of not walking on its cobbled streets. The street right in front of my hotel is the one I frequent the most. There are several houses on it. The short buildings look old and grand and are made of stone. Each of them have a very pretty garden in the front. In one such garden I saw blooming the biggest roses that I have ever seen. There are statues on the top of these houses - of maidens and sometimes of animals. Their roofs are slanting and all together there is a vintage look to the place. It is like walking through a fairy tale town.

If I walk for another few minutes and pass a couple of signals along the way, I reach a large park. Here it is quiet and green. It has several walk paths winding inwards. My mind was quite pleasantly surprised at the sight of such beauty. There is flowing water and a small lake and fountains. Here the chirping of birds can be heard distinctly - sweet dulcet tones. There are flowers on the grass blades, large thick trees and plenty of wooden benches.

It is very easy to forget the rest of the world in this paradise. I say this with no exaggeration.


No comments :

Post a Comment