“All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was. If you can get so that you can give that to people, then you are a writer.”

Friday, August 5, 2016

Would you care to give me a book?



Give me a book that is soft with age with the corners of its pages frayed

Give me a book that has gone yellow with time and has tears along its spine

Give me a book that was read by people long gone whose essence now lingers on its page

Give me a book that has proudly looked over generations from within an oak cabinet or perhaps one fallen in rank when a family went bankrupt and was peddled for far less its worth

Give me a book that was chanced upon by a little boy in a thrift shop and feverishly devoured by him in a night

Give me a book that was fondly remembered by a man as the book that defined his youth

Give me a book that has slept beside the pillow of a young girl now old who had written with her maiden hand her name on the corner of a page

Give me a book that once belonged to a scholar with notes along its margins

Give me a book that was held with both pride and humility by its author

Give me a book with a history and I will be happy too

No comments :

Post a Comment