“All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was. If you can get so that you can give that to people, then you are a writer.”

Friday, August 31, 2007

Simplicity

I like keeping things simple. That's the way I am. Unnecessary details makes life unduly complicated. Let me take an example to explain my point.

There is a line in a post on this blog that goes like this :

"I like looking at the stars, feeling the cool breeze caressing my face and wondering at the expanse of the sky."

Now that's simple. A simple person making a simple statement about what she likes. A very sublime expression leaving the rest to the imagination of the reader. The mind is put to rest. Everyone is happy. Everything is peaceful.

Not so with my brother though, who insists on making life unncecessarily complicated. He puts in his own version:

"I like looking at the stars, feeling the cool breeze caressing my face and wondering about the Hypergeometrical Universe and Time Quantization and Neuro Electron HyperSpherical Shock-Waves that occur in quasars billons of light years away. This definitely makes me feel how insignificant a creature I am. "

Now isn't this an unnecessary hurdle in the smooth flow of one's thoughts. I mean, what am i gonna get thinking and pondering about some explosions and shock waves occuring a billion light years away?? It will only succeed in making a perfectly happy person bewildered. It will get him to fractically turn around left and right. He will ransack his brains for an answer, muddle his thinking and end up boiling his watch and staring at the egg instead, with all due respect to Newton. (Those who aren't yet familiar with the 'Newton boiling his watch' story need to improve on their reading of absolutely useless matters)

But here Einstein himself in all his scientific splendour comes to my timely rescue.. A certain quote by him leads me to believe that his viewpoint might have been the same as mine all the time. He said:

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.

And so with utmost courage and all the genius in me I continue moving in the opposite direction ;)



When I dance, I dance,
when I sleep, I sleep;
yes,
and when I walk alone in a beautiful orchard,
if my thoughts drift to far-off matters
for some part of the time,
for some other part
I lead them back again to the walk,
the orchard,
to the sweetness of this solitude,
to myself.
:)

3 comments :

  1. gr8 goin.....keep movin in opposite direction...just remember keepin things simple in these directions too..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yaya oppposite direction is the way to go ...haha....often in computers we say ...."shoot there has to be a simpler way to do it" ....if its complicated to do then its probably not the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's only words
    and words are all I have
    to .... ... ..... ....

    its getting interesting... simplicity.. ahemmm

    ReplyDelete